Sunday, February 1, 2009

Hush Puppies


Cornmeal makes me happy on levels I can't even describe. I guess, for me, it's a soul food. So, I'm posting one of my ultimate favorite recipes that I've tweaked to be healthier. (Originally, you're supposed to fry them in oil.) These hush puppies can be served with breakfast - I just had them with eggs and a bowl of strawberries. Delicious! You can also eat them as a substitute for cornbread with chili or any fish dish. They're just fabulous and really good for you!

Hush Puppies

1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
2 cups yellow cornmeal (I think coarser meal is better, but whatever you have on hand.)
3/4 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 3/4 c. fat-free milk (I used reconstituted non-fat powdered milk.)
1 Tbsp. canola oil
1 large egg

Place the onion and garlic in a food processor and pulsate until finely chopped. Separately mix the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together. Add the onion mixture along with the egg, milk, and oil. Stir until well blended. (If the dough is too stiff, add a little more milk. If you live in a more humid climate, you might not need as much milk.)
Spray a flat pancake grill with cooking spray. Pour about 1/4 cupful (or 1/3 of a ladelful) servings onto the grill when it is hot. Cook until golden, crispy brown on one side. Flip to cook the other side until golden. The hush puppies should cook about 3-5 minutes on each side.

Makes about 16 hush puppies.

Note: You can experiment by adding spices you like such as black pepper, cayenne pepper, basil, paprika, extra garlic or even cheese!

2 comments:

Sarah Lee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah Lee said...

These turned out more dry than I like, especially trying to eat them as leftovers. I'm going to have to experiment with this one more...