Sunday, January 11, 2009

Pennsylvania Red Cabbage


I am always looking for new vegetable recipes that I like and will actually eat. One veggie that makes me sublimely happy (and don't ask me why - I have no idea!) is cabbage. I absolutely love it! Red cabbage's gorgeous purple color makes me extra happy and since I had one sitting in the veggie drawer of my fridge I decided to find a recipe dedicated to the little head. And I found one! (In my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook.) And without further ado, here it is!

Pennsylvania Red Cabbage

2 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. vinegar
1 Tbsp. canola oil
1/4 tsp. caraway seed (opt.)
2 Tbsp. water
1/4 tsp. salt
Dash of pepper
2 cups shredded red cabbage
3/4 cup coarsely chopped apple

In a large skillet stir together the brown sugar, vinegar, oil, caraway seed, water, salt, and pepper. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or till hot, stirring occasionally. Stir in cabbage and apple. Cook, covered, over medium-low heat for 10 to 12 minutes or till crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Serves 3 to 4. (Or makes 2, one cup servings.)

3 comments:

janae said...

I have never used red cabbage before, but I LOVE regular cabbage!! I steam 1/4 cabbage with carrots, break up a can of tuna on top, drizzle it with olive oil, salt it, and devour. I don't think Sam really likes cabbage, though. Too bad!! :)

So does red cabbage taste similar to the normal green kind? What is the difference?

Sarah Lee said...

I'm so glad you enjoy cabbage as well! It's a veggie that I think gets passed up a lot, which is a shame because it's natural sweetness and satisfying crunchiness make it so alluring!

The leaves of red cabbage are, I think, a little thicker than the green cabbage and maybe a little crunchier. Also, the color is wonderful, so if you'd like that gorgeous purpley-red on your plate without having to make or eat beets, then red cabbage is the way to go! (Although, I don't think it works as well as green cabbage does in egg rolls.)

janae said...

Good to know! I'm gonna have to try it!