Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Greek Sesame Candy


Sesame candy was always a treat I liked to get when we went to the health food store, but the downside was that it was so expensive! I was thrilled to find this fun, tasty, and really easy recipe that I could make at home. It's not too sweet and just really hits the spot. It's crunchy, chewy and it's great to share. I hope you enjoy it! (I found this recipe through www.epicurious.com.)

"There are many variations of sesame honey candy from around the Mediterranean and the Middle East - some are hard and crunchy; others, like this Greek version, are chewy. This pasteli is sticky, but [using waxed paper sprayed with baking spray] will help you unmold the candy with ease."

Ingredients:
1 cup mild honey
1 cup sesame seeds, toasted in oven (I had pre-toasted seeds on hand that I used)
1/2 tsp. salt

Place wax paper on a large shallow baking pan (1 inch deep). Remove the bottom of a springform pan and set aside. Place the springform ring upside-down on the wax paper and spray the inside of the ring - wax paper and lower edge of ring - with cooking spray.

Bring the honey, sesame seeds, and salt to a boil in a 2-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring. Then boil undisturbed until mixture registers on thermometer, about 10-15 minutes. (I live at a higher elevation and it only took 10 minutes. Any longer would have been a bad thing.)

Holding the ring in place, quickly pour the mixture into the ring, then cool on a rack until candy is set but still warm - about 30 minutes. Unmold by opening the springform ring (the candy should pop out) and peeling off the wax paper. Transfer candy to a cutting board. Cut the candy into 1-inch pieces with a large oiled knife, or if the candy is too hard, break into medium-sized pieces. Candy keeps, layered between sheets of parchment or wax paper in an airtight container in a cold dry place for 1 week.

4 comments:

janae said...

So interesting! I've never even heard of the stuff. Is it like peanut brittle? Sort of?

janae said...

Oops. I meant to subscribe to the comments so I could get your answer. So I'm doing it now. :)

clair said...

mmmmm! Sounds good! How many points is this?

Sarah Lee said...

Thanks for the comments!
Clair, I believe they are 3 points for 1.5 oz. or 1/8 of the recipe (It helps to cut the candy like a pie.)

Janae, the candy is something like peanut brittle without the butter or peanuts. Sesame seeds are chewy with a mild flavor, but you'd have to eat a handful of them to be able to tell because they're so tiny! The honey turns into a wonderful, clear golden color and is very, very chewy. I don't think they are tooth-filling friendly, but this candy is oh, so good!

I hope you'll let me know if you try it out and how you like it.