Thursday, October 15, 2009

Ode To Fat

I could wax poetical about butter, but I've decided to talk briefly about oil - more specifically about deep-fat frying. See, the health world sees frying as bad, and I'm sure it is. I don't think it's wise to eat a ton of fried foods; in fact too much makes my stomach hurt. But I think there should be special occasions where eating fried food is not only accepted, but it is celebrated! Here is a list of fried foods that I absolutely love.

Around the campfire: fried refrigerator biscuits served hot with apple butter

At home with a good pot of chili: fried hush puppies

For dinner or at a good English pub: fish and chips

As a snack: Homemade fried corn tortilla chips with fresh, homemade refried beans

Aaaaah, they make my mouth water! Since I have some freshly made apple butter I am going to have to make those fried biscuits. It's been absolutely years since I've had them. That's enough justification, right? Now all I need is a special occasion. Let's see... Halloween is the next holiday. Let's celebrate!

2 comments:

janae said...

Definitely with you on this one! I'm of the opinion that there are no bad foods and no bad ways to cook things. Just bad quantities. Is frying bad? NO! Is eating fried food for every meal bad? YES! Are candy bars bad? NO! Is eating 50 candy bars in one sitting bad? YES! It doesn't so much matter what you eat, just how much.

Annette P said...

I'm with you in that I rarely deep fry anything. But there are times, and another excellent fried food is scones. As the base for navajo tacos or just topped with some honey butter. MMMMMM!!