Sunday, June 7, 2009

Strawberry, Rhubarb, & Raspberry Crisp



Since strawberries and rhubarb are in season right now, I thought I'd post this recipe that I found at real-restaurant-recipes.com which I also tweaked a bit. I have never eaten or baked with rhubarb before. It's one of those intimidating plants that I've never ventured to experiment with. BUT a woman I bought eggs from at the farmers' market was selling some rhubarb, so I thought I'd give it a whirl! I just barely made this crisp. As it is still cooling I only took a little taste of the syrupy goodness and it tasted amazing! 
***Health Note: This is low in fat, but it has 1 1/2 cups of sugar total. I guess you can't always have everything! 
***For other non-dessert ideas using rhubarb check out this article from Mother Earth News!

Strawberry, Rhubarb & Raspberry Crisp

2 1/2 cups rhubarb, chopped in pieces
1/2 cup strawberries, sliced or chopped
1/2 cup raspberries, frozen or fresh
3/4 cups sugar
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 Tbsp. orange juice 

Topping:
2/3 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
5 Tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
5 Tbsp. butter, margarine or butter/margarine blend
5 Tbsp. pecans or walnuts, chopped (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. 
2. Butter or spray with cooking spray a 8 x 8 inch baking pan.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine and toss the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, and orange juice. Transfer the mixture to the buttered baking dish.
4. Mix the oats, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or use your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. 
5. Mix in chopped nuts and sprinkle over the fruit mixture.
6. Bake until the topping is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling, 30 - 35 minutes. 
7. Let cool and serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, if desired.

YUM!


4 comments:

clair said...

This sounds really good! I love rhubarb pie-crisp, my mom and dad would make it all the time. I grew up on the stuff! I'll need to make this one.

janae said...

Oddly enough, I'm eating Cherry Rhubard Crisp as we speak! :)

Sarah Lee said...

I put the plastic lid on this crisp to transport it while it was still warm- it was a 2 hour drive. When we got there, the crisp was soupy! I was mortified, but thought I should try to bake it some more to get it to gel up again. It worked! So, lesson learned: don't cover it until it's cool!

Sarah Lee said...

and forgot to add - YUM! Cherry rhubarb sounds awesome too!