Saturday, June 6, 2009

Making Mistakes

So, I've had 3 baking mistakes or failed experiments in the past 2 weeks. Quite a trial to be sure. If anyone knows me, they've known I've been cooking for a long time and I can come out with some pretty tasty stuff. But not always. Here are the unluckies:

1. Mozzarella cheese - the recipe turned out some pretty tasty ricotta cheese, but not mozzarella. I'm pretty positive it was the milk, so I'm not to blame. ;-)
2. Applets & Cotlets - That's right, Aurora, my first attempt was a total screw-up! Okay, so it did set and they were tasty, but the blackberry flavor was a little strong. I should have added some applesauce to lighten it up a bit. Good thing blackberries were on sale...
3. 100% Whole Wheat Bread - This one escapes me every time!!! My bread was a solid, dense brick. Edible, but not that enjoyable. I don't get it. Is it the altitude? Do I not let it rise long enough? I made some white bread a week ago that was so delicious that I rapturously cherish the wonderful little recipe it came from. But wheat bread? Why, oh why must you be so elusive? Does anyone out there know how to make good whole wheat sandwich bread? I'm determined to not buy any more bread!

So, this just goes to show you that it doesn't matter how long you've been cooking or baking. Learning comes from mistakes. If you do make a mistake, or you use a dud recipe, just move on and hope the dog will eat the failed attempt. (Or that the husband and kids won't notice...)

1 comment:

clair said...

The ricotta cheese was sooo good that it can't be considered a mistake. :)

Whole wheat bread is hard. When ever Damon makes it I wont eat it. I sure there's a good recipes out there somewhere.