Saturday, May 16, 2009

Pasta + Herbs + Tomatoes + Lemonade = LOVE



I have to tell you about this amazing, yummy meal I made today. Somehow the cooking stars were aligned. :-) I had a fridge and a counter full of produce that I needed to use and I knew I wanted to make pasta with the fresh oregano and spinach I got at the farmers market today. This is what I did:

Stir fried one chopped onion, one chopped red pepper, and about 8 small tomatoes in olive oil. Then I chucked in the sliced spinach and cooked until it wilted. Added some salt and pepper. Then I opened two cans of crushed tomatoes and poured that into a pot. I added about a tablespoon of brown sugar and then added the veggie mixture. I then chucked in the chopped, fresh oregano, some of my cinnamon basil from my window herbs stirred it until it was heated and served it over pasta with our local cheese factory's Parmesan cheese. It was amazing!! And there was no meat, so the calories were pretty low. Then, we washed it down with homemade lemonade. I found the perfect mixture (for me anyway - not too sweet and just enough tart), so here's my recipe:

Amazing Lemonade

Juice from 8 lemons and 2 limes (should come to 2 cups of juice)
1 3/4 cups sugar
Enough water to make 1 gallon
1 Tbsp. fresh mint leaves, lightly crushed

Pour the juice in a pitcher with the sugar and some of the water. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Pour into your gallon container of choice, throw in the mint leaves and add the rest of the water. Chill and drink. YUMMY!

No comments: