Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Garam Masala

If you like Indian food, then you need a good garam masala recipe. Garam masala is a spice mix called for in many Indian dishes and cannot be lived without! It's best not to buy it pre-made because who knows how much of what went in there and there's no way to customize it for yourself. And that is the beauty of garam masala - customization.
So, here' my own recipe that is more simple than some.

Garam Masala

2 Tbsp. coriander
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 Tbsp. ground cardamom
1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
2 tsp. ground cloves
2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. cayenne
1 tsp. black pepper

Mix until well combined. Keep in an airtight container or spice jar in a cool, dry place.

2 comments:

janae said...

Thanks for this! For the last few years I've had this feeling that I would love Indian food. Problem is, I'm afraid to try it. See, so many people say it's wonderful IF you get the good stuff, but they also say that there is so much bad stuff out there. So I'm afraid to have the bad stuff and then be convinced that I hate it. I need to find an awesome Indian restaurant. I do know that I love the curry spice, and that is Indian!

Sarah Lee said...

Okay... I made a mistake with this recipe. It does NOT have turmeric! If you add the turmeric, it will taste more like curry and less like garam masala. Sorry about the mix-up.