Sunday, December 7, 2008

"Mexican" Lasagna

Considering that no Mexican that I know has approved this recipe as authentic, I put the word Mexican in quotation marks. Just a little disclaimer. However, this is a dang tasty recipe. So, don't let that deter you from trying it!

Mexican Lasagna

1 ½ cups cooked black beans (or 2 cans black beans, rinsed well)
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
3 large flour tortillas sliced into strips
12 oz. salsa
4 oz. green chilies, drained
1 cup Monterey jack cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray 9x13 baking dish with no-stick spray. Layer in the following order: tortilla strips, half of black beans, 1 cup cheddar cheese, ¾ cup salsa, tortilla strips. Next, layer 1 cup cheddar cheese, green chilies, ¾ cup salsa. Last, layer tortillas, remaining black beans and top with 1 cup Monterey jack cheese. Cover with foil and bake 50 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes. Serve with diced fresh tomatoes and sour cream.

Note 1: 3 cups of cheese seemed excessive to me, so you can use less if you’d like – I tend to use just the 2 cups of cheddar cheese and distribute it evenly between the 2 layers and the top.

Note 2: You can combine 1 lb. cooked ground turkey or beef with the black beans for more protein. I also like to add a can of diced tomatoes – ½ for the first layer and ½ for the second layer. It adds a lot more moisture, which I felt it needed. The beans tend to dry out during baking.

Let me know what you think!

2 comments:

clair said...

I totally going to try this! Yum!

Clair said...

I made this for my family, mom and dad too, and we all LOVED it! Thank you for sharing the recipe!